Londoner Lava La Rue‘s DIY take on laid back hip-hop and R&B is spacey, yet coloured with warm jazz influence over which she flows in rap, spoken word and song effortlessly. Yet the messages of her lyrics as a queer woman of colour rising in the London hip-hop scene are so much more than the laid-back vibes – they’re unapologetic and powerful.
Achieving both simultaneously and sublimely whilst being so early in her career makes her definitely someone we need to get to know. Check out our introducing interview with her below!
1) For those who don’t know about you and your music, tell us a little bit about who you are and where you’re from…
“My name’s Lava La Rue, I’m 20 years old, based in West London and I’m a musician, MC, visual artist and founder of NiNE8 COLLECTIVE.”
2) Describe your sound in three words…
“Fluid, alternative, RnB.”
3) Who inspired you to start a career in music?
“I’ve always been around music from I was little but what really kick started it was probably getting kicked out of college for low attendance because I was busy making music ‘for fun’ with my collective and I was like ‘well I’m deffo doing this full time now so I should deffo start making a living from it!'”
4) Who are your biggest musical influences?
“I love Erykah Badu, Bahamadia, Gangsta Boo – they’re my main influences.”
5) Tell us about the writing and recording process for your new single/album…
“Honestly all the new music I’ve been writing has just been a direct interpretation of the experiences I’ve been having transitioning as an adult. Expect more singing too!”
6) What can we expect from your live shows?
“Lots of energy, and female dominated mosh pits – always.”
7) What has been your biggest career highlight so far?
“My headline show earlier this year was incredible, it sold out and the whole room was singing my lyrics back to me! My Colors Berlin session got a really good reception too and since then more people from all over the world have been reaching out to me and appreciating the new music.”
8) Have you met anyone and been totally starstruck?
9) What’s on your playlists that people wouldn’t expect?
“Hella pop punk from the 2000s hahaha.”
10) When can we see you live?
“You can catch me on 17th November! Bussey Building!”
Source:: MTV — News